Sunday, July 20, 2008

say goodbye to my clean baby


Lately it seems that Max has been becoming progressively more and more dirty in a shorter amount of time. I knew that boys were dirty creatures, having grown up with four younger brothers, but I guess I just wasn't prepared for the suddenness of the messes. For example, yesterday we went to the beach-Max seems to have gotten over his aversion to sand, which is a good thing-except that it gets everywhere. It starts out all over his hands and then he rubs his eyes-or he will get a little bit in his mouth so the big sandy hand then goes into the mouth and makes so the sand cycle begins.....it makes me crazy because there is no end to the sand-it almost makes it so I can't enjoy being at the beach. It makes me wonder if I am somewhat OCD at times!
Along with the dirtiness of my son he has become more of an explorer or sometimes I would even say he is naughty. He has discovered the excitement of throwing things away. He first discovered this at Barnes and Noble where he suddenly threw away one of the trains from the Thomas train set-not just a normal small garbage can-a big nasty one with a lid-which I had to dig through to retrieve the toy. At home sippy cups, pacifiers, his teddy bear, and anything else he can get his hands on also make it into the trash. Unfortunately, the trash isn't the only target for his throwing-he loves the throwing things intot he toilet as well, when he can get into the bathroom. This sudden outburst of exploration/messes is keeping me busy-in the mean time I am trying to figure out how to better Max-Proof my house, sanitize things, and gain a boat-load more patients!

11 comments:

The Newton's said...

Put your trash can up on a chair so he can't reach it. We did that until the kiddies were past 2. It made life much easier. Also we put safety things on the doorknobs and always kept our bathroom door closed. They were just drawn to it and I couldn't stand the thought of them playing in the toilet. Baby powder gets sand off really well at the beach. Good luck! The fun is just beginning.

BKC said...

If it's not one thing its another, right? I love the picture of Max at the top, and it's even cuter knowing he's probably being a little stinker!!

Rachel said...

Maybe you ARE getting OCD in your old age Laura. Or just cleaner than me which isn't hard. For some reason I love it when my kids get dirty cause then I know that they are having fun. I don't know why, but I just feel like if they're dirty, they're happy. Nothin' that the nightly bath can't fix. (ok, except for a destroyed house, but oh well.)

berrymom said...

Oh the joys of a curious, smart little boy! I feel for you. We also lived with the garbage can on the counter for a long time when Thomas was little. Nicholas hasn't had a fascination with it, so that has been nice. Good luck!

Brooke said...

Yeah, that is a fun stage. I have just gotten used to changing clothes multiple times a day (or sometimes just having a dirty child). Bath time is an absolute MUST at the end of each day!

The Tews said...

Oh the sand. Having grown up at the beach and being a bit of a clean freak my whole life I feel your pain. The worst is when the sand get's into your peanut butter and jelly sandwich--crunch!
Max is so lucky to have a patient fun mom--you are going to look back at these days soon and laugh! : )

Jake & Bec said...

Oh, boys! They must take a lesson in heaven about getting dirty to make their moms crazy.

Allison Hill said...

yep brayden is right there with max. Its a boy thing for sure! I've started to give up on keeping him clean! Good luck

Sycamore Girl said...

Idea: Get Max his own special trash can that he can put things in. Maybe a chance to teach him exactly what trash is...

I'm so glad I got a girl. :) Although I do wonder what I am in for!

C.J, Brooke, Avelyn said...

We found you!

Xerxes said...

Hey Laura! I stumbled on your blog from Zach & Amy Putnams. Looks like you've got a great family! I've got 2 little ones and it seems like the word "clean" is no longer in my vocabulary. Take care!
-mitch mildon