I'm not going to lie, since we returned from our last trip to Utah I have been struggling somewhat with being here in California. Cody and I had many talks about what he could do to help me, but really the answer is nothing because we have to be here! I always know what I need to do when I get in moods like this, but the doing is always the hard part. I found myself reading the scriptures, and just praying more that I could just break out of this mood and be happy-but one thing I know about myself and that was reiterated to me in many of my Recreational Therapy classes is that I need to get out and do something active to help escape from bad moods. So my wonderful husband, in an attempt to get rid of the crabby wife and find his generally happy wife again decided to take matters into his own hands.
On Labor Day he woke up and decided that we were going to go to the Los Angeles Zoo, which is something I had been talking about wanting to do. We packed up a lunch and headed out. The zoo was alright, Max loved it which is all that matters, although he would show the same amount of excitement over the water in the cages as he did the animals. It is a big zoo so there was lots of walking in the heat, which is always fun. Alsoin an effort to be more humane they have made bigger more natural habitatish cages, which are great except it makes it pretty much impossible to see the animals, which got frustrating, but the plants were very green! Overall Cody and I think that the Hogle Zoo is just as good if not better. Since the animals were slightly boring I was never really inspired to pull out my camera, so we have only one picture from the day-lunchtime.
Max is extra happy because he discovered a new found love for bbq flavored foods.
Friday rolled around and we decided that we needed to go to the beach since we hadn't been there for a couple of weeks. It was the most perfect day at the beach I think I have ever had. There was hardly anyone there, and the beach had just been groomed so the sand was perfect, and the waves weren't too big-I couldn't have ordered a more perfect day!
Since every pile of sand or beginning of sand castle Cody created was quickly destroyed by Max he decided to dig a hole-Max attempted to destroy that too but Cody shoved sand out of it faster than Max could throw it back in. I love sitting and watching them play together it may be one of my favorite things.
Once the hole was completed a great big wave came up and filled it up with water, which turned into the perfect little pool for Max to play in, since the big waves make him a little nervous.
Max just hanging out-even though he still gets a little nervous with the ocean I am amazed at how brave he is becoming, before I know it he will probably be out there with his dad, making ME nervous!
I am happy to report that the crabby mood is gone-I don't know what did it, it could have been the therapeutic beach, my wonderful husband, or crazy but cute little boy, or the fact that Max and I have been braving the streets of San Bernardino to go on walks. It is probably a combination of all of these things, and the fact that I have so many things to be grateful for that I often think to myself, how could I ever not be happy?
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
In pursuit of happiness...
Posted by Laura at 12:43 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Oh it looks fun! I'm glad your happy now :) Sorry if I made it worse by telling yoiu to move to Utah :(
I'm glad your mood is better...I fee l bad we haven't spent more time together...we should change that
I guess I should stop complaining about being away from my family, because you are way farther than me!
I like when people write about the cute little things that they're kids do, after all, this is basically a journal! He seems like such a lovable, adorable little guy.
Your post really touched me, Laura. You have really been through a lot of change just since you have been married and it is HARD!!! I HATED it here in Colorado when we moved but I forced myself to see whatever little glimmer of good that could possibly be here and slowly things started to change. But it is a slow hard process! And like you say, you have all the tools ... it's just DOING IT!! You are so blessed to have a husband that wants you to be happy and a little boy that will love you no matter what!! A day at the beach would sure make this old California Girl happy! Tell your Mom that blogging is fun!! You get hooked!
P.S. Love the new look of your Blog!
Oh Laura I can TOTALLY relate! I struggle still with being in Texas and have a hard time not getting in those "moods" too. It's so hard sometimes! I sure wish we lived closer! Just call me next time and we can vent together! :) Looks like a fun day at the beach... cute pics! We love you guys! :)
My sister lives in California and now doesn't think she'll ever move back to Utah. She LOVES it out there. But, at first she wasn't so sure. I'm glad you are feeling better. Max looks like he is so much fun! His smile is super cute!!
I totally understand what you are talking about. In fact I have been struggling with that this past week or so. Sweet thoughtful husbands are the best! I am glad you are feeling better. I hope it stays that way.
As much as I absolutely love being a stay at home mom, I think it's tougher than working a 40 hour week, and I can only imagine how much harder it is to be far away from family and friends. I too have had a hard time with my own happiness but when you recognize all your wonderful blessings more frequently it makes life better.
Being happy is easier said than done, but one thing I definitely know helps is to have fun with your family and forget about your worries even for a day. I feel like calling you because when we lived in San Diego I felt the same way you do. It's not easy but I did find ways to release stress and moodiness, and all while I was pregnant with my second child. It was not fun, are you pregnant?! Take care and keep in touch. I'm so glad to stay in touch with you through blogging!
Post a Comment